I have so many drafts waiting to be written into blog form but I came across several Blue Laws and just couldn't resist writing about them.
It all began with ice cream. Namely, eating ice cream. We all love to eat ice cream but I discovered that in Georgia you can't carry ice cream around in your back pocket on Sundays. Seriously? So on a hot Sunday afternoon you are supposed to get your hands all sticky by carrying your ice cream in your hands? Gross!
|You can buy it but you can't eat it on Sundays in Oregon.|
Upon further research I learned that my native New York State also bans ice cream being carried in the pocket on Sundays. I also learned this is petty compared to my second home - Oregon. In Oregon they are the pregnant woman's nightmare: ice cream EATING is banned on Sundays. Obviously that is a man's state.
This new information led me to crave more - information, that is. So off to the interweb to see what more I could learn. Let me share some of my favourite Blue Laws with you:
Alabama Blue Laws
- You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.
- You may not drive barefooted.
- Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.
- Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.
- Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
- Cabbage can’t be sold on Sunday.
- If you bother the cottontails or bullfrogs, you will be fined.
- There is a decree declares that anyone caught stealing soap must wash himself with it until it is all used up.
- It is illegal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than one missing tooth visible when smiling.
- Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.
- Dogs may not bark after 6 PM.
- It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1:00 PM on Sunday.
- In order for a pickle to officially be considered a pickle, it must bounce.
- It is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.
- Silly string is banned.
- You aren’t allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands.
- An unmarried woman may not parachute on Sunday (or she risks arrest, fine, and/or jailing)
- Members of the state assembly cannot be ticketed for speeding while the state assembly is in session.
- Selling two beers at once for the same price is not allowed.
- It is illegal for one to make a disturbing sound at a fair.
- Illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.
- Residents may not fish from a giraffe’s back.
- A person may not be seen in public without a smile on their face.
- Riding a Merry-go-round on Sunday is considered a crime.
- One may not pee in his neighbor’s mouth.
- Law forbids eating in a place that is on fire.
- It is unlawful to change clothes in an automobile with the curtains drawn, except in case of fire.
- Humming on public streets on Sunday is illegal.
- A man with a moustache may never kiss a woman in public.
- One-armed piano players must perform for free.
- Kisses may last for no more than five minutes.
- Horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants.
- Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.
- Pedestrians crossing the highways at night must wear tail lights.
- No one may catch fish with his bare hands.
- The state game rule prohibits the use of mules to hunt ducks.
- One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.
- A woman may not buy a hat without her husband’s permission.
- Dogs may not molest cars.
- It is illegal to expectorate from any second-story window.
- It is illegal to park in front of Dunkin Donuts.
- Deer may not be fed.
- Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
- An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.
- Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their taxi during their shifts.
- All men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday.
- The last Sunday in June of every year was named “log cabin day”.
- There is a law that makes it legal for a farmer to sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens.
- Willfully destroying your old radio is prohibited.
- It is illegal for a man to scowl at his wife on Sunday.
- It is illegal to let your pig run free in Detroit unless it has a ring in its nose.
- It is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone.
- Hard objects may not be thrown by hand.
- Worrying squirrels will not be tolerated.
- Balls may not be thrown within the city limits.
- It is illegal for a married woman to go fishing alone on a Sunday and illegal for an unmarried woma to go fishing alone at all.
- If a child burps during church, his parent may be arrested.
- It is Illegal to go whale fishing.
- It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.
- A man is not allowed to run around with a shaved chest.
- You may not tap your feet, nod your head, or in any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe.
- On Sundays citizens may not relieve themselves while looking up.
- Idiots may not vote.
- You may not carry a lunchbox down Main Street.
- It’s forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public.
- Citizens may not greet each other by “putting one’s thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers”.
- A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting.
- The penalty for jumping off a building is death.
- A man can’t go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.
- Pinball machines may not be played on Sundays.
- It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.
- Beer and pretzels can’t be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
- One may be jailed for wearing a hat while dancing, or even for wearing a hat to a function where dancing is taking place.
- It is illegal to get a fish drunk.
- It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.
- No one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July.
- Ordinance number 223, of 09/09/19 prohibits the installation and usage of slot machines in outhouses.
- It is illegal for the owner of a bar to allow anyone inside to pretend to have sex with a buffalo.
- Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.
- It is illegal to have the hind legs of farm animals in your boots.
- It is illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.
- A special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling.
- You may not sing in the bathtub.
- You may not catch a fish with your hands.
- You may not catch a fish by any body part except the mouth.
- You may not sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same customer on Sundays.
- Performing a U-turn within 1,000 feet of an intersection is illegal.
- Horses may not be kept in bathtubs.
- It is a capital offense to inadvertently kill someone while attempting suicide.
- Like Massachusetts, all men must carry a rifle to church on Sundays
- Dance halls may not operate on Sundays.
- Musical instruments may not be sold on Sundays.
- No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.
- It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory.
- Movies that show police officers being struck, beaten, or treated in an offensive manner are forbidden.
- The sale of bologna is prohibited on Sundays.
- At one time it was illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole.
- All residents shall bathe every Saturday night.
- There is a state law prohibiting “corrupt practices of bribery by any person other than candidates.
- You may not engage in business on Sundays, with the exception of almost every industry.
- Children are not to go trick-or-treating on Halloween.
- It is illegal to tickle women.
- Spitting on a sea gull is not tolerated.
- No hunting is allowed on Sunday except raccoons which may be hunted until 2am.
- No one my buy a mattress on Sundays.
- It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 lbs.
- Roadkill may be taken home for supper.
- Whistling underwater is prohibited.
- It is legal to beat your wife on the courthouse steps on Sundays.
- Using a firearm to fish is strictly forbidden.
- You may not take a picture of a rabbit from January to April without an official permit.
And for some odd Sunday laws more locally centered:
Buckner, Missouri: Yard waste may be burned any day except Sunday.St. Cloud, Minnesota: Hamburgers may not be eaten on Sunday.
Colorado Springs, Colorado: It’s permissible to wear a holstered six-gun within city limits, except on Sunday, Election Day, or holidays.
Hartford, Connecticut: It’s illegal for a man to kiss his wife on Sunday.
As they say in Johannes' native Brabant: