Sunday, May 1, 2011

Queen's Day Dinner

In my ongoing quest to embrace my Sweetheart and everything about him; today my children and I celebrated the birthday of Queen Juliana (The late Mom of Queen Beatrix of Holland).  I went through several websites and recipes over the last few days to find the perfect recipe.  My choices were limited if I wanted my eldest daughter to enjoy the meal, since she is a vegetarian.  After discussing it with my Sweetie and reviewing recipes, I settled on Stamppot Sla.  Stamppot is a potato mash and Sla is obviously, lettuce.  The end result was delicious and very simple.  Stamppot Sla is a wonderful summer salad which was quite filling.  I'm sure we'll be eating this dish several times during the warm weather. 

Stampot Sla



    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:    
              2 lb Potatoes, peeled and halved
              1 Vegetable stock cube
              1 Head Butter Lettuce
              5 Egg
              1 Tbsp Butter
              1 Tbsp Hand-hot cream (or milk)
              Salt and White Pepper, to taste

Preparation:

In a large soup pot, cover the potatoes with water.  Add a stock cube and bring to a boil.  Meanwhile, wash the lettuce thoroughly, spin dry and slice the individual leaves into strips.  When the potatoes are soft, drain them well. Pat them dry and give them a shake in the pot. Mash with a potato masher or ricer. Add an egg, the butter and cream (or milk). Now fry the four eggs in a frying pan, but be careful to leave the yolks runny and intact.  Add some lettuce to the mash and mix it in using a wooden spoon. Season to taste.  

Serve the stamppot on a bed of sliced lettuce with an egg on top.  Pierce the yolk and allow the runny liquid to dribble down the mound. 

Serves 4

Note: I didn't use salt or pepper and the potatoes were delicious.  The vegetable stock seemed to season the potatoes perfectly. 

1 comment:

  1. Your ongoing quest to embrace Your sweetheart, has resulted in my quest to embrace You, more than ever... (o:
    Thank You, Ingrid for being such an Angel.. I've never met anyone as dear as You, not to mention Your kind heart, and loving ways...
    I can't wait to try this recipe...I can't wait to see You, in a few weeks....
    Dank je, Liefie..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I hope you enjoyed it.