Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fabric Bulletin Board


Over the years of raising my gang, I have become very reliant on using the bulletin board to keep track of everything that is going on in our schedule.  With six kids this was essential.  This year is my second oldest's senior year.  I know from experience that the paperwork from school is an unbelievable amount senior year so I needed a better system.  


I created a school notebook.  Each one of the five kids still in school will get a section and the dividers have pockets for those essential papers due back at school. Those with extra-curricular activities like Drill Team and Cheer, as well as India with her college papers, got another section:










In the meantime, what to do with the old bulletin board.  This was a large one to accommodate all of the different categories (8 sections: one kiddo per section plus one for family activities and one for over-all school info). I decided it will be used more for correspondence, college visitation info, invites, photos, notes and the general silliness which reigns around here.  


I started with some fabric that I bought from Indonesia.  My Sweetheart is a Dutch-Indo from Holland so having a part of him incorporated in each room of my house is essential.  I gathered some jute and thumbtacks, my trusty rechargeable glue gun and my 13 year-old, Andrew.  He and I spent the day laying out the grid.  This is how it turned out:






For the over-all effect on my kitchen wall:



Now we are ready for the new school year.  One more week...

1 comment:

  1. You are such a good Mom, teaching organization, is crucial for young people.. Lord knows,many a grown ups could use a course in it.... The "file" notebooks are awesome, and I absolutely love the bulletin board.... :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I hope you enjoyed it.